Pilot Plant and Facilities at Bangor University
The BEACON capability based at Bangor University is separated over two sites: the main university campus and the Bio Products and Biorefining Technology Transfer Centre based at Mona on Anglesey.
These facilities house a range of key equipment and associated expertise to enable academic and industrial partners to develop and demonstrate scale-up processes, taking laboratory research to economically viable industrial applications.
This includes a pressurised refining and pilot scale facility coupled with supercritical fluid and chemical/ analytical support.
- Provide a flexible environment where plant biomass can be taken from mechanical and thermochemical processing through bioconversion to products such as transport fuels, platform chemicals and fine chemicals.
- Bridge the gap between laboratory and demonstration research and deliver an impact to the commercial sector with collaborative research and development.
- Develop processes, technologies and products from plant biomass that provide alternatives to products made from oil, delivering a positive impact on climate change.
- Develop a growing network of industrial collaborators and encourage academia to business and business to business research and technical development.
- Generate and exploit intellectual property in collaboration with our partners.
- Provide life cycle assessment support to better understand the most economic routes to new and existing products.
- Production of biocomposites
- Fibre based packaging
- Bio based plastics and packaging
- Isolation of bioactives and bio products such a plant waxes
- Isolation of bio based additives for e.g. the cosmetic industry
- Analytical chemistry
- Organic synthesis